Blog & News

Read the Sashed blog and latest news below.

At Sashed, we offer our customers a fully-managed planning application service where we act as your agent, creating, submitting, and managing your planning application to change your windows and doors from start to finish.

Planning permission services to change windows and doors

We understand that changing your windows can be a stressful process, especially when planning permission is required. It’s important to note that you DO NOT normally need planning permission to change your windows, but in some instances, planning may be needed. At Sashed, we offer customers buying Sashed windows and doors a comprehensive turn-key solution to meet all of your planning requirements, making the process as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Sashed windows with arches in Queens Park London types
Our company specialises in providing our customers with expert advice and support for their replacement window projects in conservation areas, article 4 conservation areas and listed buildings. We understand the complex regulations and restrictions involved in conservation area planning and listed building consent, and we are here to help you navigate the process.
Our planning permission services for timber window and door replacements include a full assessment of your property and its surroundings. We will take into consideration the architectural style of your property, the materials used in its construction, and the surrounding landscape. This will enable us to provide you with a range of options for replacement timber windows that are both visually appealing and in keeping with the character of your area.
We will work closely with you to understand your requirements and preferences, as well as any specific regulations and guidelines that apply to your conservation area or listed building. Our experienced team will provide you with detailed information on the planning process, and we will guide you through every step of the way.

Whats included in the planning permission services?

We will research the planning history of your property and your local area, as well as any relevant precedents, and provide you with a recommendation on what planning approval you are likely to receive. Additionally, we will recommend the best type of glazing, window construction, and any necessary glazing bar details.
Please note that our planning services are only available as an add-on to an order for new windows and/or doors from Sashed. We do not offer planning services for third-party products, nor do we provide planning services in isolation (without an order for new windows and/or doors).
Will create all the required documents needed to submit your planning application, this usually consists of:
  • Existing and proposed elevation CAD drawings.
  • Detailed CAD section drawings of each window and or door you want to change.
  • Design and Access statement.
  • Heritage statement.
  • Fire safety and flood risk statements where required.
  • Site and location maps.
  • Completion of Local Authority planning application forms, where applicable this includes the completion of the Mayor of London CIL (Community Infrastructure Levy) forms.
Once your planning application has been created, we will submit it and act as your agent throughout the planning process. We will answer any questions your local authority may have and engage with your local authority planning officers. If necessary, we will work with the planning officer to make changes to your application.
Timber Casement Windows at a house near Henley-on-Thames

What happens if my planning application is refused?

First of all, we will not submit a planning application if we know that it is likely to be refused, unless we have pre-agreed with you that you are prepared for the appeals process.
If you have placed an order with us and applied for planning permission, and if the application is subsequently refused, we will be happy to refund your deposit in full, less any planning fees.

What are your indicative time frames?

At the point of placing your initial order with us, it will take between 3-4 weeks to prepare all the necessary documents, collate the required drawings, and carry out all relevant surveys. This will allow us to submit your planning application to your local authority.
Once submitted, the time it takes for your local authority to validate your application will depend on which authority you reside in, and can take anywhere between 1-4 weeks.
After validation, it can take up to 8 weeks for your local authority to make a decision on your application. If we need to make changes to the application to satisfy the assigned planning officer’s concerns or requirements, it may take a few additional weeks.
After receiving approval, your joinery will go into production, which (depending on the time of year) can take anywhere between 10-14 weeks before it is ready for installation.

I'm unsure if I need planing permission or not

Conservation areas are designated by local authorities to protect the historical and architectural character of certain areas. If your property is located in a conservation area, you may need to obtain planning permission before making any changes to the exterior of your property, including window replacements.
If you are not in a conservation area, then you normally do not need planning permission to change your windows and doors as this is considered “permitted development” for dwelling houses. Flats do not technically benefit from permitted development for any changes, although windows and doors are usually an exception. However, this is at the discretion of your local planning authority.
If you are in a standard conservation area, you normally do not need planning permission to change your windows and doors if your property is a dwelling house (not a flat), on the condition that they are “like for like in material and appearance, with the addition of double glazing”. This means that if your outgoing windows are made of timber, your new windows must also be made of timber, and if your outgoing windows are sliding sash windows, then your new ones must also be. Your new windows must be double glazed to meet current thermal efficiency building regulations.
However, if you live in an “Article 4 Direction Conservation Area” or a “Listed Building”, you will usually require planning permission to change your windows and doors. Check out this page for more details on whether you need planning permission or not.

I'm in a Listed Building, can you help?

The answer to this question depends on various factors, such as your listing type, your local authority, and whether your windows and doors are historic or not. Planning officers are now granting approval for our Heritage Range with Vacuum Insulated Glass. To get a better understanding of your specific situation, it is recommended that you call our office at 020 3198 7742. Our team will be happy to discuss your property in detail and provide you with the best course of action.

Make an enquiry using this form or email

I DO NOT live in a conservation areaI live in conservation areaI live in a listed buildingI'm unsure

How did you hear about us?

This website uses cookies to better the users experience while visiting the website. Where applicable this website uses a cookie control system allowing the user on their first visit to the website to allow or disallow the use of cookies on their computer / device. You can read Google's privacy policy here for further information.
Sashed uses cookies to improve our sites and by continuing you agree to Google's cookies policy.